Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Kota Tinggi

 



Extended lunges, deep stances, bouncing knuckle push-ups - the usual exercises encountered when training with Karate-do Goju-Kai Singapore. I thought I'd be beat after that, seeing how I've been away for 9 months. Not so. I still had enough left in me for a 120 Km ride to and from Kota Tinggi today!


Coach showed me the route. I surprised him by bringing his fee unannounced, as I usually do, because he tolerates my endless questions and queries. "You're a good man you know that? That's what they'll say in New Zealand." Gee, thanks Coach. Apparently he had done some military training in that area before, hence his familiarity with the area. It used to be a Kampong, now there's no trace of anything remotely reminiscent of that lifestyle.


The route was easy. The round trip was 120 Km, but it was reasonably smooth compared to Singapore's. However, there are many large potholes that require quick dodging. By large, I mean at least a vertical fist deep - the sort that WILL send you flying or at least break your fork. I couldn't avoid one and nearly lost control. The loud 'crack' made my heart jump. I thought I broke a spoke, or at least burst the front tyre. Thankfully, Mavic's Ksyrium Elites managed to hold it together and the Continental Gatorskins remained steadfast despite the gravel, cement and glass i rolled through. I can see why the Mavic-&-Continental combination is so popular in Melbourne. That leaves one last question... Is the fork of my Cannondale 6 Carbon intact?



I ended the ride feeling freakishly fresh. The Accelerade and Gatorade probably helped a lot, but I like to think that my fitness is improving too. All portents point to that: a higher Max HR, more responsive HR variation (it changes quickly when I push harder or ease off), and that 'souplesse' pedaling. It feels like the bike is riding itself. Yes I know it's a good bike - even the mechanic at a shop said it was great when he tested it - and it won Cycling Plus UK's Bike of the Year award for 2010 with a score of 10/10. But hey! I pedaled!!


Coach said my progress was decent: "I'm pretty impressed with your progress". *shrugs*, maybe it was the easy pace. He also said I wrapped my bar tape up "pretty good actually". As long as I keep improving - and someone who knows what's what say I am - I'm happy. Take it step by step. Next up, the Degani 3 Peaks Challenge in Victoria's Falls Creek alpine region. 3 mountains, 5000+ vertical meters, 235 Km. Sounds like fun! :D


After that, I'll start racing. Coach says I should start in Category C but the guys in the Melbourne Uni club recommended starting at the lowest grade - D. Discretion is the better part of valour. Get it? D-iscretion? Nevermind...


Right then! Hard club ride tomorrow, intervals the day after, and 70 Km on Saturday and Sunday with an average  in the high 30s. Sounds like it'll be a god week ahead! ;D


No comments:

Post a Comment